Skip to main content

Week 14 Extra Credit Reading: Brothers Grimm (Crane), Part A

 These notes are from The Robber Bridegroom which is part of Household stories by the Brothers Grimm translated by Lucy Crane and illustrated by Walter Crane (1886).

  • So, I've always heard that the Grimm fairy tales are much more gruesome than people realize. They're often read to children (and remade) for young audiences, but are quiet dark. 
  • This is one of the dark ones! That's why I wanted to read these, to find the scary stories.
  • I'm taking notes over part 2, but part 1 is the set up.
  • The miller's daughter is visiting her groom's house. She's never been there, and he told her to visit so that she could get to know him better (lured her!)
    • Never go to someone's house if you don't know them. That's the moral of this one
  •  She has a weird feeling about this whole thing, so she sprinkles pea's on the ground during her journey. I love that this girl is smart! Always trust your instinct
  • When she arrives, there's a creepy bird that's singing a warning, but she keeps going through the house anyway. 
  • An old woman is there, and tells her that her groom is a murderer and that she WILL be murdered. 
  • Now, onto part 2
  • The bride is hiding, when in walks the murder gang!
  • They have a young woman with them, and even when she cries, they refuse to let her go
  • The give her wine, and then they murder her, by cutting her up (while the bride watches from the hiding place)
  • The murdered girl has a ring on the finger. They want it, but it's stuck on the finger. They cut it off to get the ring
    • But, the finger jumps away into the lap of the hiding bride
    • They want to look for it, but the old woman covers for the bride
    • She convinces them to stop looking for the finger
      • The old-woman would be an interesting character to explore in another story. Why is she there? What's her background? Was she a slave for the murders? Why is she helping the bride
  • The old woman pours sleeping stuff into their wine, and they pass out
  • The bride takes her chance and runs away from the murder house (again, smart girl!). 
    • The peas that 
    • she left guide her out of there
  • When she gets back home safely, she tells her father the whole story
  • Then the wedding happens (maybe it's just the ceremony) 
  • While at the table (with the groom) the bride starts to tell a story of her "dream"
  • she tells the whole town the story of what happened to her, and keeps saying "Sweetheart, my dream is not yet ended"
  • she ends by saying (this is the best part!)....
    • "And one of the robbers saw a gold ring on the finger of the young woman, and as it was difficult to get off, he took an axe and chopped off the finger, which jumped upwards and then fell behind the great cask on my lap.
    • "And here is the finger with the ring!"
  • The towns people round up the evil gang, and execute them (they kind of deserve it).
  • I wouldn't change much about this story. I love it lol. I was worried that the gang would get away with it, but there's still a happily ever after lol. 
  • I would like to see more about the old woman. What happened to her after she escaped? Was she at the wedding??

Image information:
Robber Bridegroom Illustration
Walter Crane
Found on: Wikipedia  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

 Link To Storybook: Portfolio: Strange Stories from a Strange Town  Image Information: Dark Ocean Found on: Thought Catalog 

Introductions Are Hard

 Hello! I'm Grayce and this is my second time taking an online class with Laura! All of the information in my original introduction   is still pretty accurate, so feel free to check it out. Honestly, I'm pretty bad at talking about myself and it's just as hard while blogging 😅. This is my senior year at OU (finally!). Since I'm an older college student (25), I'm very excited to graduate. I will soon be able to start my career as an educator which is completely terrifying! Over my quarantine summer, I've been surrounding myself with plants. I have a tendency to kill things, but I've found a few varieties of houseplants (snake plant and marble pothos) that can withstand some abuse lol. If you have any gardening advice, or suggestions for plant names, let me know :)  My plant friends:  This is my Marble Queen Pothos (needs a name!) This is my Snake plant (Sansevieria), which is currently named Georgina (I'm open to renaming)  Image Information:  "Marb

Week 7 Story: Goblin in the Woods

Markus had been wandering through the woods for hours now. It was getting darker, colder, and creepier as the sun started to set. He started to regret his decision to find the famous “goblin of the woods” that supposedly hunted in this forest. Every time someone vanished in the woods, the whole town blamed it on a horrifying, man-eating goblin.  Markus totally didn’t believe in it, not at all.  There are tons of totally normal, realistic reasons for people disappearing in the woods. Like, starvation or just plain ol’ getting lost. Hell, even getting attacked by a bear was more likely than a goblin!  There was no reason to believe that a cannibalistic goblin existed in these woods. Once Markus proved that the goblin didn’t exist, the rumors would be put to rest and his buddies would owe him 200 dollars. It was a win-win for him. It seemed to be around midnight when Markus found a little cabin in the middle of a clearing. Normally, he wouldn’t dare to go in, but it was colder outside t