Skip to main content

Week 7 Story: Goblin in the Woods




Markus had been wandering through the woods for hours now. It was getting darker, colder, and creepier as the sun started to set. He started to regret his decision to find the famous “goblin of the woods” that supposedly hunted in this forest. Every time someone vanished in the woods, the whole town blamed it on a horrifying, man-eating goblin.  Markus totally didn’t believe in it, not at all.  There are tons of totally normal, realistic reasons for people disappearing in the woods. Like, starvation or just plain ol’ getting lost. Hell, even getting attacked by a bear was more likely than a goblin!  There was no reason to believe that a cannibalistic goblin existed in these woods. Once Markus proved that the goblin didn’t exist, the rumors would be put to rest and his buddies would owe him 200 dollars. It was a win-win for him.

It seemed to be around midnight when Markus found a little cabin in the middle of a clearing. Normally, he wouldn’t dare to go in, but it was colder outside than he expected, and he didn’t know how to build a fire. He was a polite boy, so he knocked on the door before barging in. Slowly, the door opened, and inside was an old woman—her hair was gray and matted, and she smelled like smoke. But she looked mostly harmless.  With a scratchy voice she said, “Hello, young boy. Are you lost out here?”  What a kind woman, Markus thought to himself. I bet she’ll offer me a meal and a place to sleep for the night.

“Please come in and make yourself at home, dear boy”, the old woman said. “I haven’t had a visitor in a long time”. Markus and the old woman, named Gladis he learned, had a great time together, chatting and eating some kind of delicious stew. Gladis wouldn’t tell him the secret ingredient, but it was amazing, unlike anything Markus had tasted before!

When it came time for bed, Gladis got him out a little blanket. Before she left him, she gave him one rule of the house. She warned, “Don’t go into that closet, dear boy. It’s my sacred room and I don’t want it messed up.”

While Markus laid down to sleep, all he could think about was the closet. What’s in there, he wondered to himself. Why can’t I go in there? He started to get a bad feeling. Did he seriously just decide to spend the night with a stranger? Maybe this whole thing was a bad idea.

As quietly has he could, Markus got up from the couch. He crept over to the closet and gently opened the door.

Oh crap, he thought. The room was filled with bones. There were skulls on the floor and glass jars filled with tiny bones of all kinds. One jar had all thumbs, another had teeth. A rug in front of the door was still soaked with blood. He suddenly knew that the man-eating goblin was real, and he was in her cabin!

In the darkness behind him, he heard a shrill laughter. It was the goblin! He tried to run, but before he knew it, he was grabbed by a bony hand. “Please, let me go!”, he begged the goblin. But, it was too late.

Gladis the goblin took the first bite of the boy and was delighted How lovely and tender, she thought. It had been a long time since she feasted on such a juicy meat. Gladis prepared her meal, feeling glad that foolish young boys existed.


Author's Note: This story is based off The Goblin of Adachigahara from the  Japanese Fairy Tales (Ozaki) unit.  In the original story, a priest is traveling through the woods when he runs into an old woman. This woman turns out to be the cannibal goblin! I kept that part the same, but I changed the priest into a dumb teenage boy, mostly to make it fun and modern. In the original, the priest survives the encounter after he prays to Buddha. Since it's October, I was ready for a creepy goblin story. So, I changed the ending so that the boy loses to the goblin and gets eaten. I think when I edit this story, I'll had more detail and imagery. I want to make it a bit more spooky! Happy October everyone!  



Image Information:
Cabin in the Woods
Found on: The line-up.com

Comments

  1. Hi Grayce!

    Gosh, I love horror so this is awesome! When the old woman told him not to look in the closet, I assumed he would look and then get himself into trouble by looking, but you switched it up and had his looking into the closet be a sort of good thing for him to do although he still perished. I was definitely surprised so that's a good thing. I do agree with you though because I definitely think some more description would make this story pop! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Grayce, I love how you changed the character from older priest to younger boy. It adds a little bit of humor as you visualize a teenager. But I agree, it was also a great idea to twist the ending to make a little more spooky. I'm not super into horror/scary stories but yours had just the right amount. I love the little details you included about the closet, definitely makes the old woman/goblin more terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Grayce,
    I agree 100% - October is time for a creepy story! I love it when you have a character told not to look somewhere and what do they do - they look. It doesn't matter if it is a story or a movie, you're basically looking at the character going "Why? Why are you going in there?" They end up doing it anyway and I appreciate that you had it not work out for your character! Great spooky time story.
    -Eli

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Grayce!

    This story was amazing. I am not one for gory horror and I think you hit all the spooky spots without making it nauseating. This close to Halloween, I was definitely put into the spirits. I love that you put it in to modern times. This is 100% like those horror movies where the audience is like no please don't go in there, ahh you did it and I love it. Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect timing for Halloween! I'm terrible at writing scary stories with good endings, but I thought you did a great job of writing an ending that's proportional to the amount of suspense built up throughout the story. The whole thing flowed really well and you're great at using dialogue in a way that feels natural! Great story for spooky season!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Grayce! What a great story to rewrite for October and Halloween coming up. I love reading spooky stories during October. I also sometimes get scared and spooked when I read them...ha! I think you did a really great job with starting and finishing your story strong. That is a very important skill to have as a writer. Is there anyway you could add more detail on why Markus was wondering why he couldn't go into the sacred room? Overall, great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

 Link To Storybook: Portfolio: Strange Stories from a Strange Town  Image Information: Dark Ocean Found on: Thought Catalog 

Introductions Are Hard

 Hello! I'm Grayce and this is my second time taking an online class with Laura! All of the information in my original introduction   is still pretty accurate, so feel free to check it out. Honestly, I'm pretty bad at talking about myself and it's just as hard while blogging 😅. This is my senior year at OU (finally!). Since I'm an older college student (25), I'm very excited to graduate. I will soon be able to start my career as an educator which is completely terrifying! Over my quarantine summer, I've been surrounding myself with plants. I have a tendency to kill things, but I've found a few varieties of houseplants (snake plant and marble pothos) that can withstand some abuse lol. If you have any gardening advice, or suggestions for plant names, let me know :)  My plant friends:  This is my Marble Queen Pothos (needs a name!) This is my Snake plant (Sansevieria), which is currently named Georgina (I'm open to renaming)  Image Information:  "Marb

Story Week 4: Friday Night Lights

[Characters]:  Brad: Quarterback for the Athens football team Eric: Running Back for Athens Coach Hader: Head coach for Athens  Darren: Quaterback for Trojans football team  [Setting]:   Football field. It's a great night to play sports; the sky is clear. The stadium is full of fans, wearing golds and reds. We're at Athens High School during the national semifinals playoff game. Athens High is playing against the Trojans. They trail by 10 points in the final quarter. There is 8 minutes left on the clock. The camera zooms to 2 boys wearing gold football uniforms on the sidelines. Cheerleaders lead chants in the background.  Brad is sitting on the bench, looking angry Eric joggs off the field and over towards Brad [Eric]: BRO. Come on. Enough of your petty drama with Hader! Do you see this crap out there? They are MURDERING us.  Brad rolls his eyes, but says nothing [Eric]: You're the best guy that we have! Dude, you know that we can't win this without you!  [Brad]: It