Skip to main content

Week 13 Extra Credit Reading: Brothers Grimm (Ashliman), Part A

 These notes are based off Rumpelstiltskin which is from The Grimm Brothers' Children's and Household Tales translated by D. L Ashliman.


  • This was my favorite story when I was a kid. I read a bunch of different versions from the library and watched versions of it on TV. 
  • It just so fun. The depictions of the little Rumpelstiltskin man are so great. 
  • After reading this translation, I understand the changes that people have made in their retellings. 
    • The most common change is the addition of the prince! In this story, the king is the one who marries the maiden. 
    • In the retellings, there's a prince that tries to help the princess. He gives her advice, and he's the one that figures out the name of Rumpelstiltskin.  It makes the story cute and a bit less creepy. It adds the love element. 
    • I would follow these changes if I wrote my own version of this story.
  • The moral of the story is probably, "don't lie". This whole mess happens because the miller lies about his daughter being able to spin straw into gold. 
  • The king (obviously) doesn't believe him, so he takes the miller's daughter in order to prove the lie
  • He puts her in a room of straw and demands that she spins all of the straw to gold. Or else she will die
  • Right when she starts to freak out, in comes a little man (there's not a description of him)
    • I could add one!
    • I wonder how he knows what is going on
    • Maybe he's like a fairy or something
  • Anyway, here is where where the trouble starts!
  • He offers to spin the straw to gold in exchange for something
    • The first time is a necklace
    • Is the baby thing his plan the whole time? 
    • Maybe the message of the story is to not make strange deals with strange men
  • They make the deal, and the man spins the straw to gold.
  • The king comes back and is so happy, BUT he is greedy for more gold
  • Now he brings her to an even bigger room, filled with even more straw
  • Here comes the little man again! He is for sure a magic being
  • This time they trade a ring, and the man agrees to the deal
  • When the king arrives, he takes her to an even bigger room! 
    • This is the last time
  • When the man comes again, the daughter has nothing left to offer
    • "Then promise me, after you are queen, your first child"
    • The daughter agrees 
  • When the king comes again, he marries her, in hopes that she will make him rich
  • A year later, she has the baby! She almost forgets about the little man, but he appears!
    • She tries to offer him riches and wealth, but he refuses. He wants the baby (to eat)
      • not directly stated, but implied
    • She cries and he takes pity. The deal is that if she can guess his name, he will not take the baby 
    • He has such a weird name that he knows that it'll be impossible to guess
    • The queen thinks of all the names
    • He gives her 3 days and 3 guesses
    • For 2 days she tries, but cannot guess. 
    • She sends a messenger (in the retellings, it's usually the prince)
    • The messenger sees the little man jumping around a fire and singing
      •  Today I'll bake; tomorrow I'll brew,
        Then I'll fetch the queen's new child;
        It is good that no one knows,
        Rumpelstiltskin is my name.
  • When the queen guesses the name, Rump stamps and creates a whole in the ground. He then rips himself in half (that part is usually left out of the kids version...)
  • It would be cool to either focus the story on Rump or maybe the messenger (how he discovers the secret)
Image Information: 
Rumplestiltskin 
Illustration from Andrew Lang's Fairy Tale book
Found on: Wikipedia 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introductions Are Hard

 Hello! I'm Grayce and this is my second time taking an online class with Laura! All of the information in my original introduction   is still pretty accurate, so feel free to check it out. Honestly, I'm pretty bad at talking about myself and it's just as hard while blogging 😅. This is my senior year at OU (finally!). Since I'm an older college student (25), I'm very excited to graduate. I will soon be able to start my career as an educator which is completely terrifying! Over my quarantine summer, I've been surrounding myself with plants. I have a tendency to kill things, but I've found a few varieties of houseplants (snake plant and marble pothos) that can withstand some abuse lol. If you have any gardening advice, or suggestions for plant names, let me know :)  My plant friends:  This is my Marble Queen Pothos (needs a name!) This is my Snake plant (Sansevieria), which is currently named Georgina (I'm open to renaming)  Image Information:  "Marb

Comment Wall

 Link To Storybook: Portfolio: Strange Stories from a Strange Town  Image Information: Dark Ocean Found on: Thought Catalog 

Story Week 4: Friday Night Lights

[Characters]:  Brad: Quarterback for the Athens football team Eric: Running Back for Athens Coach Hader: Head coach for Athens  Darren: Quaterback for Trojans football team  [Setting]:   Football field. It's a great night to play sports; the sky is clear. The stadium is full of fans, wearing golds and reds. We're at Athens High School during the national semifinals playoff game. Athens High is playing against the Trojans. They trail by 10 points in the final quarter. There is 8 minutes left on the clock. The camera zooms to 2 boys wearing gold football uniforms on the sidelines. Cheerleaders lead chants in the background.  Brad is sitting on the bench, looking angry Eric joggs off the field and over towards Brad [Eric]: BRO. Come on. Enough of your petty drama with Hader! Do you see this crap out there? They are MURDERING us.  Brad rolls his eyes, but says nothing [Eric]: You're the best guy that we have! Dude, you know that we can't win this without you!  [Brad]: It