Skip to main content

Week 9 Reading Notes: Stories from the Congo, Part B

 These notes are from The Fetish of Chilunga which is found in Notes on the Folklore of the Fjort by Richard Edward Dennett (1898).

  • My portfolio is about creepy things happening in a creepy town
  • I think that this story would work nicely in my portfolio!
  • I like the urban legend feel that this story has. It has 2 or 3 incidents that happen to different people in different situations.
  • It's one man telling these stories, but I could change it to multiple people telling stories around a campfire, or at night before bed. 
  • This story centers around a fetish named Boio (the human representative is a princess)
    • He dwells in the earth, and calls to people for offerings
    • Voice of a bird
  • The first story:
    • A woman is gathering sticks when she hears a bird singing 
    • She rudely tells it to be quiet
    • Some invisible force ties her hands behind her back, she is kept there until her husband comes to find her
    • He knows about Boio. The wife didn't know that the bird was Boio
    • They go to the princess with a peace offering and the woman is set free
  • The second story:
    • 2 men are carrying a hammock pole 
    • Some other men see these men, and mock them
    • The men are bound, much like the woman in the first story
    • The hammock was carrying Boio in the hammock (but they were invisible)
    • The men can only be free after a hefty fine is paid to the princess
  • The third story:
  • Short
  • Girls that think their future husbands (arranged marriage) are ugly are imprisoned by the fetish 
  • Other, shorter story:
    • Town goes to dance for the fetish
    • If they dance badly, they are punished
    • A white man does not believe, until he is told to give presents to the fetish
      • They disappear, and then he believes
    • Only ones that can see the fetish are the men that carry food to him
  • I think I could write an invisible spirit that plays tricks on everyone! 
  • I would make up new stories (maybe a bit more horrifying) 
  • People would be going around, telling their stories, trying to outdo each other. 
  • Maybe the spirit shows up! To punish those that don't believe in him! 

Image Information: 
Shoebill bird (a bird that can be found in the Congo)
Hans Hillewaert 
Found on: Wikipedia 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

 Link To Storybook: Portfolio: Strange Stories from a Strange Town  Image Information: Dark Ocean Found on: Thought Catalog 

Introductions Are Hard

 Hello! I'm Grayce and this is my second time taking an online class with Laura! All of the information in my original introduction   is still pretty accurate, so feel free to check it out. Honestly, I'm pretty bad at talking about myself and it's just as hard while blogging 😅. This is my senior year at OU (finally!). Since I'm an older college student (25), I'm very excited to graduate. I will soon be able to start my career as an educator which is completely terrifying! Over my quarantine summer, I've been surrounding myself with plants. I have a tendency to kill things, but I've found a few varieties of houseplants (snake plant and marble pothos) that can withstand some abuse lol. If you have any gardening advice, or suggestions for plant names, let me know :)  My plant friends:  This is my Marble Queen Pothos (needs a name!) This is my Snake plant (Sansevieria), which is currently named Georgina (I'm open to renaming)  Image Information:  "Marb

Story Week 4: Friday Night Lights

[Characters]:  Brad: Quarterback for the Athens football team Eric: Running Back for Athens Coach Hader: Head coach for Athens  Darren: Quaterback for Trojans football team  [Setting]:   Football field. It's a great night to play sports; the sky is clear. The stadium is full of fans, wearing golds and reds. We're at Athens High School during the national semifinals playoff game. Athens High is playing against the Trojans. They trail by 10 points in the final quarter. There is 8 minutes left on the clock. The camera zooms to 2 boys wearing gold football uniforms on the sidelines. Cheerleaders lead chants in the background.  Brad is sitting on the bench, looking angry Eric joggs off the field and over towards Brad [Eric]: BRO. Come on. Enough of your petty drama with Hader! Do you see this crap out there? They are MURDERING us.  Brad rolls his eyes, but says nothing [Eric]: You're the best guy that we have! Dude, you know that we can't win this without you!  [Brad]: It