Skip to main content

Week 12 Reading,: Celtic Fairy Tales, Part A

 These notes are based off The Horned Women from Celtic Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs (1892).

  • This is another story that would fit in with my storybook
  • Again, this isn't super scary or unsettling, but it's "strange"
  • I also think I could add in a story that's more on the goofy side, so it's still weird, but also a bit funny!
  • So, a rich lady is staying up at night
    • I would make this a teen girl (or maybe a couple of stereotypical teens)  
  • Suddenly, there's a knock on the door, calling out for the woman to open up!
    • I don't know why you would answer this lol
    • Maybe in my story (modern teens would never), the teen can be tricked into opening the door
  • The witch with one Horn enters
    • I guess the lady of the house thinks that other women set it up for her
  • Now they work on carding wool ( I think this is getting wool ready to use)
    • Maybe I could make them prepare charm bracelets or something 2000's
  • Soon enough, there's a second knock at the door
  • This time, it's the witch with TWO horns (I wonder if the horns mean anything)
  • Also, the woman "felt herself obliged to rise and open to the call" is something mysterious controlling/influencing her behavior? 
  • This keeps happening and by the end there are 12 witches in the house. 1-12 horns on their heads
  • At this point, weird things really start happening! 
  • The witches do not talk to her, but sing (casting a spell?)
    • Can I make up a silly spell or song?
  • The woman feels weird and weak, she wants to call for help, but she can't
  • Then the witch start to boss her around
    • make a cake
    • take a sieve and bring water
    • They seem to be making her do sometime of ancient ritual
    • She says a spell after collecting all the things
    • I would make this a modern collection of things and rituals (like collect dr.pepper or something)
  • After the witches hear the call, they leave and go to Slievenamon (witches house? main camp?)
  • The spirit of the house wants to help the lady! So, he gives her tips that will help her break their spells
    • sprinkle water (feet-water) outside the door
    • blood cake (this one is complicated lol)
    • witches woven cloth half in/half out of chest
    • secured the door with crossbeam
    • Again, I would change up some of these things in my own story
    • maybe light a special salt candle or something lol
  • The witches return and they are angry!
  • They demand to be let in, but all the magic relics work!
  • Eventually, the witches flee back to Slievenamon
  • They curse the spirit of the well, that helped the mistress
  • The mistress ends up with an object (mantel) dropped by one of the witches and it's kept in the family for many generations!
  • I think I could create my own version of hocus pocus from this story! Multiple witches that need to be defeated by a group of kids. It would be great, and people would have a frame of reference that would help them understand the story a bit better. 
    • The witches would need horns of course. 


Image Information:

The Sanderson Sisters from Disney's Hocus Pocus 

From: Walt Disney Studios

Found on: advocate.com 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

 Link To Storybook: Portfolio: Strange Stories from a Strange Town  Image Information: Dark Ocean Found on: Thought Catalog 

Introductions Are Hard

 Hello! I'm Grayce and this is my second time taking an online class with Laura! All of the information in my original introduction   is still pretty accurate, so feel free to check it out. Honestly, I'm pretty bad at talking about myself and it's just as hard while blogging 😅. This is my senior year at OU (finally!). Since I'm an older college student (25), I'm very excited to graduate. I will soon be able to start my career as an educator which is completely terrifying! Over my quarantine summer, I've been surrounding myself with plants. I have a tendency to kill things, but I've found a few varieties of houseplants (snake plant and marble pothos) that can withstand some abuse lol. If you have any gardening advice, or suggestions for plant names, let me know :)  My plant friends:  This is my Marble Queen Pothos (needs a name!) This is my Snake plant (Sansevieria), which is currently named Georgina (I'm open to renaming)  Image Information:  "Marb

Week 7 Story: Goblin in the Woods

Markus had been wandering through the woods for hours now. It was getting darker, colder, and creepier as the sun started to set. He started to regret his decision to find the famous “goblin of the woods” that supposedly hunted in this forest. Every time someone vanished in the woods, the whole town blamed it on a horrifying, man-eating goblin.  Markus totally didn’t believe in it, not at all.  There are tons of totally normal, realistic reasons for people disappearing in the woods. Like, starvation or just plain ol’ getting lost. Hell, even getting attacked by a bear was more likely than a goblin!  There was no reason to believe that a cannibalistic goblin existed in these woods. Once Markus proved that the goblin didn’t exist, the rumors would be put to rest and his buddies would owe him 200 dollars. It was a win-win for him. It seemed to be around midnight when Markus found a little cabin in the middle of a clearing. Normally, he wouldn’t dare to go in, but it was colder outside t