Skip to main content

Learning Challenge: Reading about Time

 These notes are taken from "Why Time Management is Ruining our Lives" by Oliver Burkeman (2016). 




This is kind of a long article, so I'm going to not really take detailed notes on this. I'm going to read and write a reflection instead!

I think that I've heard of inbox zero, and I think I lowkey tried it myself. I now delete most of the email before bed or when I wake up in the morning (at least in my gmail). It's a pain! But, I love having a clean inbox. And it makes it easier to find my important emails, they're the only ones I haven't deleted. It's interesting that even things that are supposed to save time end up making us feel more stressed. I've never thought about it that way, but it's true. 

The guy that started Inbox zero project noticed that people can procrastinate doing their work by planning out how to do their work. I do that all the time! I love getting out my planner, but I'm really just avoiding doing work. 

Why do we have to be more efficient? So that we can do even more work in the day? Or so that we have more time to relax? What are people more likely to do?  

"We just keep finding new things to need" (why we keep needing to produce, even though we have all our needs and even a couple of wants covered)

The time management industry is wild. I can't believe we pay people to come up with some of this stuff.  

"We go running to improve our health, not for the pleasure of movement" -true, but I don't know if there's a way around this. I want to improve my health, but I also enjoy running. If I only did things for enjoyment, I would only lay around and watch TV. And EAT. 

It's weird, because I like feeling like my day was all filled up! I love feeling productive, but does it add unnecessary stress to my life? I'm sure that it does. There are people to see, places to go, things to read. It's a bit scary that when you die, somethings will be unaccomplished. There are so many things on my list to do, that it's sad to think I might not see all the shows I want or read all the stories I want. There's really no way around the fear, so I guess the solution is to not worry so much about being productive and to be selective with how you spend the days. It's okay if not everything gets done. 



Image Information: 

"Time Square Tagaytay" by paolosdala is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

 Link To Storybook: Portfolio: Strange Stories from a Strange Town  Image Information: Dark Ocean Found on: Thought Catalog 

Introductions Are Hard

 Hello! I'm Grayce and this is my second time taking an online class with Laura! All of the information in my original introduction   is still pretty accurate, so feel free to check it out. Honestly, I'm pretty bad at talking about myself and it's just as hard while blogging 😅. This is my senior year at OU (finally!). Since I'm an older college student (25), I'm very excited to graduate. I will soon be able to start my career as an educator which is completely terrifying! Over my quarantine summer, I've been surrounding myself with plants. I have a tendency to kill things, but I've found a few varieties of houseplants (snake plant and marble pothos) that can withstand some abuse lol. If you have any gardening advice, or suggestions for plant names, let me know :)  My plant friends:  This is my Marble Queen Pothos (needs a name!) This is my Snake plant (Sansevieria), which is currently named Georgina (I'm open to renaming)  Image Information:  "Marb

Story Week 4: Friday Night Lights

[Characters]:  Brad: Quarterback for the Athens football team Eric: Running Back for Athens Coach Hader: Head coach for Athens  Darren: Quaterback for Trojans football team  [Setting]:   Football field. It's a great night to play sports; the sky is clear. The stadium is full of fans, wearing golds and reds. We're at Athens High School during the national semifinals playoff game. Athens High is playing against the Trojans. They trail by 10 points in the final quarter. There is 8 minutes left on the clock. The camera zooms to 2 boys wearing gold football uniforms on the sidelines. Cheerleaders lead chants in the background.  Brad is sitting on the bench, looking angry Eric joggs off the field and over towards Brad [Eric]: BRO. Come on. Enough of your petty drama with Hader! Do you see this crap out there? They are MURDERING us.  Brad rolls his eyes, but says nothing [Eric]: You're the best guy that we have! Dude, you know that we can't win this without you!  [Brad]: It