Skip to main content

Extra Credit Reading, Week 8: Lang Fairy Tales, Part A

 These notes are from "The Envious Neighbour" from The Violet Fairy Book by Andrew Lang (1901).


  • I wanted to do notes over this story because it's about a dog!! When I saw "envious neighbor" I thought they would be fighting over land or a lady, but I was pleasantly surprised that the neighbor is jealous of their pet dog. 
  • A little old couple has a dog instead of a child, they love this and treat it well. 
  • But this dog is magic! I love this dog
  • So the man is working on the garden,  when he notices that the dog is digging at a little spot. 
    • The dog starts to bark, alerting the man of something
  • Like a good owner, the man digs to where the dog is gesturing. Always trust your dog!
  • When he digs it up, it's treasure--go little doggy
  • Now the family is rich! Word travels (not always a good thing...)
  • A neighbor hears about the dog and wants to "borrow" him so that he can also get rich
    • Owners say "No!", but the man insists. 
    • The dog is lent out to the man--and he expects treasure
    • When the dog barks at a tree, the neighbor is excited
    • The man only digs up bones, though. No treasure. 
  • Since the man is evil, he kills the dog :(
  • He lies to the family, and tells them that their dog randomly died. 
  • The owner of the dogs is, of course, heart broken. 
  • He brings home the dog and the family gives it a nice funeral/ceremony 
  • He dreams of the dog giving him advice (cut down a tree, and make mortar)
  • The man hesitates, but his wife tells him to trust the dog (what a good boy!)
  • When he follows the advice, the wood of the tree brings him gold!
  • Again, he is rich!
  • Here comes the neighbor, ready to screw things up again
  • He asks to borrow the mortar. The couple is nice and allows it
  • He thinks he will get gold, but the gold turns into nasty berries 
  • He destroys their stuff again!
  • The dog again appears in the owners dream. He gives them advice and sprinkles ashes on a tree in front of the king.
  • When he does this, flowers bloom! And the man is rich (again)
  • The envious neighbor again tries to copy this, and steals some of the owner's ashes. 
  • it doesn't work
  • Instead, the neighbor blinds the king!
  • As punishment, he is thrown in jail. He comes to a "miserable end" lol.
  • Okay! So to write this, I would definitely make a haunted dog ghost story. The dog haunts the envious neighbor and causes him all kinds of problems. I would make this less about the owners, and more about the neighbor. He has to be punished for hurting the dog and stealing from the neighbors. 
  • It would work nicely in my haunted portfolio.  









Image Info:
Sparkle Dog with Butterfly

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

 Link To Storybook: Portfolio: Strange Stories from a Strange Town  Image Information: Dark Ocean Found on: Thought Catalog 

Introductions Are Hard

 Hello! I'm Grayce and this is my second time taking an online class with Laura! All of the information in my original introduction   is still pretty accurate, so feel free to check it out. Honestly, I'm pretty bad at talking about myself and it's just as hard while blogging 😅. This is my senior year at OU (finally!). Since I'm an older college student (25), I'm very excited to graduate. I will soon be able to start my career as an educator which is completely terrifying! Over my quarantine summer, I've been surrounding myself with plants. I have a tendency to kill things, but I've found a few varieties of houseplants (snake plant and marble pothos) that can withstand some abuse lol. If you have any gardening advice, or suggestions for plant names, let me know :)  My plant friends:  This is my Marble Queen Pothos (needs a name!) This is my Snake plant (Sansevieria), which is currently named Georgina (I'm open to renaming)  Image Information:  "Marb

Story Week 4: Friday Night Lights

[Characters]:  Brad: Quarterback for the Athens football team Eric: Running Back for Athens Coach Hader: Head coach for Athens  Darren: Quaterback for Trojans football team  [Setting]:   Football field. It's a great night to play sports; the sky is clear. The stadium is full of fans, wearing golds and reds. We're at Athens High School during the national semifinals playoff game. Athens High is playing against the Trojans. They trail by 10 points in the final quarter. There is 8 minutes left on the clock. The camera zooms to 2 boys wearing gold football uniforms on the sidelines. Cheerleaders lead chants in the background.  Brad is sitting on the bench, looking angry Eric joggs off the field and over towards Brad [Eric]: BRO. Come on. Enough of your petty drama with Hader! Do you see this crap out there? They are MURDERING us.  Brad rolls his eyes, but says nothing [Eric]: You're the best guy that we have! Dude, you know that we can't win this without you!  [Brad]: It