Skip to main content

Extra Credit Reading Notes: Twenty-Two Goblins, Part B

 These notes are from Twenty-Two Goblins: The Girl and the Thief  translated by Arthur W. Ryder (1917)

  • A love story! Kinda lol
  • Again, the frame narrative starts with the king and the goblin
  • Could I make it a love story in a love story? 
  • If the princess gets the riddle correctly, she gets to save and marry the prince!
  • The riddle:
    • A merchant has a beautiful daughter: modest, pretty, and charming
    •  He tries to marry her off, but she doesn't like men!
      • Great character
    • She didn't want a husband, and would rather die than talk about marriage
    • Then, the story switches
    • There is a thief, and he is noticed by the king
    • The king tries to trick him
      • The king pretends to be a thief, so the thief treats him kindly
    • The thief brings the king to his house, and treats him like a guest
    • The king runs away, and brings an army to kill the thief
    • The thief destroys the army--he's a really cool fighter
    • Now, the king fights with the swordsman! 
    • The king wins, and takes the thief to be executed
    • The girl (Pearl), sees the thief on the execution day, and OF course falls in love with him.  
    • The father goes to the king, but and makes offers to try to save the thief
    • It doesn't work!
    • The girl tries to die with the thief--he sees her and cries, but dies with a smile
    • The girl takes his body, and tries to burn herself with him
    • Shiva appears and stops the girl
    • The girl was being faithful, so Shiva offers her a boon
    • She wants her father to have sons, and for her husband to come back alive! 
    • It works, the thief is brought back to life and becomes a good man
    • He becomes a general for the king, and lives a life full of virtue.
    • The riddle question: When the tief saw the merchant's daughter crying, did he weep or laugh?
    • Answer: the thief thought: "I can make no return to this merchant for his unselfish friendship" (so he wept). He also thought: "why goes this girl reject kings and fall in love with a thief" (so he laughed at how strange women are). 
    • I think if I rewrote this, I would make the story a bit more romantic
    • He would laugh at the king--for being a fool! 
    • And weep for the lady he was about to lose. also weep for his kindness! 

Image Info:
Vikram and the Baital 
Ernest Griset
Found on: Wikipedia 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

 Link To Storybook: Portfolio: Strange Stories from a Strange Town  Image Information: Dark Ocean Found on: Thought Catalog 

Introductions Are Hard

 Hello! I'm Grayce and this is my second time taking an online class with Laura! All of the information in my original introduction   is still pretty accurate, so feel free to check it out. Honestly, I'm pretty bad at talking about myself and it's just as hard while blogging 😅. This is my senior year at OU (finally!). Since I'm an older college student (25), I'm very excited to graduate. I will soon be able to start my career as an educator which is completely terrifying! Over my quarantine summer, I've been surrounding myself with plants. I have a tendency to kill things, but I've found a few varieties of houseplants (snake plant and marble pothos) that can withstand some abuse lol. If you have any gardening advice, or suggestions for plant names, let me know :)  My plant friends:  This is my Marble Queen Pothos (needs a name!) This is my Snake plant (Sansevieria), which is currently named Georgina (I'm open to renaming)  Image Information:  "Marb

Story Week 4: Friday Night Lights

[Characters]:  Brad: Quarterback for the Athens football team Eric: Running Back for Athens Coach Hader: Head coach for Athens  Darren: Quaterback for Trojans football team  [Setting]:   Football field. It's a great night to play sports; the sky is clear. The stadium is full of fans, wearing golds and reds. We're at Athens High School during the national semifinals playoff game. Athens High is playing against the Trojans. They trail by 10 points in the final quarter. There is 8 minutes left on the clock. The camera zooms to 2 boys wearing gold football uniforms on the sidelines. Cheerleaders lead chants in the background.  Brad is sitting on the bench, looking angry Eric joggs off the field and over towards Brad [Eric]: BRO. Come on. Enough of your petty drama with Hader! Do you see this crap out there? They are MURDERING us.  Brad rolls his eyes, but says nothing [Eric]: You're the best guy that we have! Dude, you know that we can't win this without you!  [Brad]: It