Skip to main content

Learning Challenge: Reading About Reading

 These notes are over "The magic of the Book: Hermann Hesse on Why we Read and Always Will" by Maria Popova 


  • Author is talking about how reading an old book and writing poetry reconnected her with her own childhood memories. 
  • The thrill of reading can be lost when we get older.
    • I think this is in part because of the education system and the way they deal with reading
  • Author reads "The magic of the Book" by Hermann Hesse:
    • Among the many worlds that man did not receive as a gift from nature but created out of his own mind, the world of books is the greatest… Without the word, without the writing of books, there is no history, there is no concept of humanity. And if anyone wants to try to enclose in a small space, in a single house or a single room, the history of the human spirit and to make it his own, he can only do this in the form of a collection of books. (From Hesse)
  • Other quotes other popular book sayings--what do books do for the human experience? 
  • Apparently, Virginia Woolf wrote against the cinema
    • Hesse argues the opposite, books are unique, no matter what they do something differently for humans  
    • Books will always been needed and respected. 
  • The author also says something like, if no more book were written, we could still enjoy books that have been written over the last hundreds of years. I kinda agree with the sentiment, however, one of the best things about book is that they reflect ourselves. There are current issues that need to be read about and discussed. A teen needs to see other 2020 teens that deal with social media issues or police brutality. 
  • Of course I relate to this article! I'm an ELA education major, so I clearly love to read! I just hope that I can inspire my students to find the same love of literature.  

Image Information:
Books and Plants
Found on: domino.com 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

 Link To Storybook: Portfolio: Strange Stories from a Strange Town  Image Information: Dark Ocean Found on: Thought Catalog 

Introductions Are Hard

 Hello! I'm Grayce and this is my second time taking an online class with Laura! All of the information in my original introduction   is still pretty accurate, so feel free to check it out. Honestly, I'm pretty bad at talking about myself and it's just as hard while blogging 😅. This is my senior year at OU (finally!). Since I'm an older college student (25), I'm very excited to graduate. I will soon be able to start my career as an educator which is completely terrifying! Over my quarantine summer, I've been surrounding myself with plants. I have a tendency to kill things, but I've found a few varieties of houseplants (snake plant and marble pothos) that can withstand some abuse lol. If you have any gardening advice, or suggestions for plant names, let me know :)  My plant friends:  This is my Marble Queen Pothos (needs a name!) This is my Snake plant (Sansevieria), which is currently named Georgina (I'm open to renaming)  Image Information:  "Marb

Week 7 Story: Goblin in the Woods

Markus had been wandering through the woods for hours now. It was getting darker, colder, and creepier as the sun started to set. He started to regret his decision to find the famous “goblin of the woods” that supposedly hunted in this forest. Every time someone vanished in the woods, the whole town blamed it on a horrifying, man-eating goblin.  Markus totally didn’t believe in it, not at all.  There are tons of totally normal, realistic reasons for people disappearing in the woods. Like, starvation or just plain ol’ getting lost. Hell, even getting attacked by a bear was more likely than a goblin!  There was no reason to believe that a cannibalistic goblin existed in these woods. Once Markus proved that the goblin didn’t exist, the rumors would be put to rest and his buddies would owe him 200 dollars. It was a win-win for him. It seemed to be around midnight when Markus found a little cabin in the middle of a clearing. Normally, he wouldn’t dare to go in, but it was colder outside t