Skip to main content

Feedback Strategies

 Article #1: How to Get Past Negativity Bias in Order to Hardwire Positive Experiences by Katrina Schwartz 


I chose to read this article because I don't really know what "negativity bias" is. It sounds like being negative in your brain, instead of thinking positively. I tend to be a negative nancy, so I'll see if this article has any tricks for me. 

So! I see that I was sort of correct. According to this article, there are ways to rewire your brain thinking patterns. The brain is moldable! This scientist, Rick Hanson, argues that students can develop motivation and think of themselves as more active learners. Maybe students can become more positive in their outlook on learning? Apparently, the brain is used to putting negative emotions (or input) in front of positive things (negativity bias). Humans focus on bad news, not positive news. We should try to train our brains to dwell on positives instead. So basically, it's all about mindfulness. Being aware of our your brain handles information, and how to change those pathways. It's cool that it is possible to change the way your mind processes information. Maybe for this class and in the future, when we get feedback, it would help to not think about the negative information as much as the "good jobs" that come in a critique. Or we could focus on how much fun, enjoyment we got out of the activity, despite the negative feedback we might have received.


Article #2:   Why Do So Many Managers Avoid Giving Praise? by Jack Zenger and Joseph Folkman

This one I read because of work! I've been having some issues at work lately, mostly with the management team. I'm a server, so it's a high stress job, and all they do is criticize the workers!! They never give any positive feedback or praise, and it drives me crazy. I almost want to send them this article. 

What a great quote: "giving only negative feedback diminishes a leader's effectiveness in the eyes of others and does not have the effect they believe it has". I wish I could tattoo this on my body. 

I also like that the article mentions that the praise needs to be specific and soon after the incident! So when writing feedback in this class (and to my future students), I need to find and tell students what exactly they are doing that is good! Not just a general "good job" type of statement. I think that this is a hard skill to learn, especially since brains are wired to see and focus on the negatives. I would love to send this article to my bosses, but I can't be petty :(



Image Information:
Posted by Laura Gibbs
Made with cheezburger



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

 Link To Storybook: Portfolio: Strange Stories from a Strange Town  Image Information: Dark Ocean Found on: Thought Catalog 

Introductions Are Hard

 Hello! I'm Grayce and this is my second time taking an online class with Laura! All of the information in my original introduction   is still pretty accurate, so feel free to check it out. Honestly, I'm pretty bad at talking about myself and it's just as hard while blogging 😅. This is my senior year at OU (finally!). Since I'm an older college student (25), I'm very excited to graduate. I will soon be able to start my career as an educator which is completely terrifying! Over my quarantine summer, I've been surrounding myself with plants. I have a tendency to kill things, but I've found a few varieties of houseplants (snake plant and marble pothos) that can withstand some abuse lol. If you have any gardening advice, or suggestions for plant names, let me know :)  My plant friends:  This is my Marble Queen Pothos (needs a name!) This is my Snake plant (Sansevieria), which is currently named Georgina (I'm open to renaming)  Image Information:  "Marb

Week 7 Story: Goblin in the Woods

Markus had been wandering through the woods for hours now. It was getting darker, colder, and creepier as the sun started to set. He started to regret his decision to find the famous “goblin of the woods” that supposedly hunted in this forest. Every time someone vanished in the woods, the whole town blamed it on a horrifying, man-eating goblin.  Markus totally didn’t believe in it, not at all.  There are tons of totally normal, realistic reasons for people disappearing in the woods. Like, starvation or just plain ol’ getting lost. Hell, even getting attacked by a bear was more likely than a goblin!  There was no reason to believe that a cannibalistic goblin existed in these woods. Once Markus proved that the goblin didn’t exist, the rumors would be put to rest and his buddies would owe him 200 dollars. It was a win-win for him. It seemed to be around midnight when Markus found a little cabin in the middle of a clearing. Normally, he wouldn’t dare to go in, but it was colder outside t